King Prawn Fried Rice Meal Prep
King Prawn fried rice packed full with sautéed mixed vegetables and scrambled egg, finished off with oyster sauce, bbq sauce and soy sauce for a well rounded umami hit. The use of whole grain rice means it’s perfect for meal prep.
- 12 Raw King Prawns can be cooked frozen
- 350-500 g Cooked Wholegrain Rice Can use any rice, must be cooked first then cooled.
- 1 Carrot
- 1 small Celery Stick
- 1 Corn on the Cob
- 6-7 Shittake Mushrooms
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Spring Onion
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp BBQ Sauce
- 2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine White wine is also good, omit if cannot find.
- 1 tbsp Oil for cooking with
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
First cook the rice - to make 500g of cooked rice, you'll need about 250g uncooked rice. The rough guide to cooking whole grain rice is, 1 mug of rice to 1 mug of water. The rough guide for cooking white rice is 1 mug of rice to 0.5 mug of water.Cook this first, lid on, low heat, for about 15-20 minutes until the water is fully absorbed. Once done, fluffy up the rice with a fork and place the lid back on to steam the rice (off the heat). By the time the prawns, egg and veggies are cooked we can add the rice. Remember this is meal prep, so it's all about convenience.
Wash, peal, slice and dice all the vegetables into equal sizes, small cubes are best.
Cut the prawns into small pieces too - this can be done frozen with a sharp knife. Jsut mind your hands in case the kinfe slips. Feel free the deforst the prawns though.
Get a wok on the highest heatTop Tip - This is all about high heat and fast cooking.
Add the cooking oil and then immediately the carrot, onion and celery to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
Add the prawns, mushroom, corn and peppers. Cook for a further 2-3 mintues. Any liquid should be cooked out here. The prawns should no longer be grey in colour.
Push the vegetables and prawns to one side. Add the eggs to the pan and mix together and scramble until firm. Combine with the vegetables once done.
Add the rice to the wok and combine with the veg well. Cook for a couple minutes.
Make a well in the middle of the pan. Add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and bbq sauce. Mix into the rice and veg well. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Serve in bowls with freshly chopped spring onion on top and a lime wedge to squeeze overTop - Tip microwave the lime for a few seocnds until warm to unlock more flavour.
- Prepare the rice before anything. Fried rice is cooked with leftover rice usually, but you can get away with cooking and cooling rice, then adding to the wok to fry.
- Prepare all the vegetables first. This is a quick dish to cook, so preparation is key.
- If you can't find the Shaoxing wine, leave it out or replace with a little white wine.
- Make sure you scramble the eggs before combining with the vegetables. The eggs cook better and quicker this way.
- Keep the wok on high all the way through - the cooking process should only take around 15 minutes from start to finish, even with the frozen prawns.