The Most Refreshing Grapefruit Sorbet (without a machine)
Grapefruit sorbet made using only 3 ingredients and a blender. This is the perfect summer refreshing with a zesty grapefruit zing balanced with icing sugar.
- 5 Large Red Grapefruits Should get roughly 700ml juice
- 140 g Icing Sugar
- 70 ml Vodka
Juice all the grapefruits until no more juice can be extracted and place the juice into a jug.
Add this juice to a blender through a seive to remove the unwanted pips/flesh.
Add the icing suhar to the blender - no need to seive this.
Blend the sugar and juice until fully combine and the juice turns a light pink colour - roughly 1-2 minutes.
Add the vodka and stir well with a spoon.
Add the mixture to a solid freezable container - cover with a lid, or clingfilm.
Place in the freezer for 4 hours - every 30 minutes remove from the freezer and blend to reduce the ice crystal formation and create a smoother sorbet.
Place back in the freezer after the final blend and leave overnight for best results - or at least another 4 hours.
Note - this can be left in the freezer for weeks, just like ice cream. So it's best to make a big batch. Try doubling up the recipe if you can, jsut blend in batches to prevent you kitchen being decorated pink!
- Try and buy the best grapefruits you can. The better they are the better your sorbet will taste.
- Allow the blender to run for at least a minute to really make sure the mixture is smooth and incorporated.
- The trick to getting a really smooth and delicious sorbet is to blend it every 1 hour whilst it's freezing. Simply remove from the freezer, pour into the blender, blend until smooth, add back to the container and place in the freezer. Repeat until the sorbet has been in the freezer for 4 hours.
- After the final frozen blend it will still be soft and slush like - try leaving in for as long as you can, overnight is best (i.e. 8-12 hours). Once it's set, it will be ready for months of use.
- The vodka stops the mixture from freezing solid, and allows it to be scoop-able.